Here I share a little of everything, from great Etsy sellers and Etsy tips to little life lessons. I am always excited to hear from you! If you have a story to share or a shop you would like to show off, shoot me an email at irunwithscissors@live.com







Monday, November 8, 2010

Keeping myself sane in an insane world

So sorry it's taken a while for this newest blog post.  It seems as though life likes to get ahold of me an shake the sense out of me until I don't know which way is up anymore.  It's always a bit of a hit and run.  Imagine you are walking down the street, and you see a jogger coming your way.  No biggie.  Yet as the reach you they stop, grab you by the shirt and shake the heck out of you!  Then as quickly as they came, they are off and looking for someone else to terrorize.  This is what happens to me.

I got to thinking, it seems plenty of other people have been mentioning a hectic life recently around Etsy so I thought about what I am doing to combat the crazies in an effort to help you out.  Granted, my situations may be a tad different than yours, but try to think of ways you can apply some of these philosophies.   You don't have to be an Etsy seller to apply these to your life.

Keep everything in perspective.  All too often, when something comes up it's larger than life and all consuming.  What we really need to do, is think about it for a minute.  Is it really worth all the worry and stress?  Are we making the problem seem bigger than what it is?  When we over analyze things it gives them the power to influence other things in our lives.  For example, after my grandparents died and everything was divided up nobody was really happy with each other.  All it took was for one person to take something that had anothers name on it and it turned into World War 3.  Pretty soon I was accused of things I had never even considered in my life.  I was totally upset that family could think these things of me!  After a little introspection, I realized, "These people have never even bothered to get to really know me.  Otherwise they could never truly think I would do something so low."  That's when I brushed them under the rug.  Took away the power of those words by simply dismissing them.  Suddenly that big issue didn't look so big anymore.

Pace yourself.  Start setting easily managed goals each day.  Sit down and think about what you could easily do, even on a busy weekend.  I like to keep an extremely flexible schedule, but I still need to get things done.  I tend to look around the house that day and decide, "OK.  I need to do 2 loads of laundry, finish that new set of flowers and do the dishes."  I can easily do that during the day and still have plenty of time for me.  I find that if I schedule myself full all day, or point out to myself every little thing I am doing I tend to feel more overwhelmed and less happy with myself.  Keeping the list small and concise allows me to feel that accomplishment and I normally go on to do much more.  However if I had made the list all inclusive and packed my day full, I would probably only get a third of it done.  After that I would be so hard on myself I would sit around eating cheese balls and reruns of Veronica Mars all the next day.

Tune out negativity.  How many of us truly want to have a bad day?  None.  But if you sit around thinking about how badly the day is going, it's not going to get any better.  That is the way life goes.  You will see only what you are focused on.  It's a bit like the old saying, "You can't see the forest for all the trees."  When you dwell on all the bad that is happening, you don't see all the good things happening around you.  Look in the mirror, do you constantly scowl or do you smile?  Not as many people are going to smile at you if you look like you are going to bite their head off!  The more you look for the positive side, the more you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment